Moving to USA with Dui on criminal record help?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey i have been planning to move to USA for long time. My dad is US citizen and my whole family from my dad side and all of them are living there in USA basicly in NY and FL .
I have visited in USA at my dad and relatives like once or twice a year and i was planning to move there when i got my school finished (im 19 years old finland citizen and living with my mom in finland) But couple months ago i f***** up for real and caught on drunk driving when i was coming from school partys i feel so shame and bad... so im asking what should i do if i still wanna go to usa and is that still possible? i found out already that i have to ask for B2 visa next time when i wanna go to usa because im not able to use visa free program anymore :( but am i still able to get a Greencard and what should i do?

1. Colleen M. Glenn

Pro

13

Answered . You should consult with an immigration attorney. Good luck
    www.colleenglenn.com

2. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

13

Answered . If your dad is a U.S. citizen, he can (and should) file for your green card right away. He cannot do it after you turn 21, so it's best to get started early. The one DUI should not preclude you from getting your green card through your father. However, the application process may be confusing, and you would be wise to retain an immigration lawyer to assist you.

3. William David Umansky

Pro

7

Answered . Please repost your question under immigration section of Avvo. Good luck!

4. Jeffrey Adam Devore

4

Answered . While a simple DUI is generally not considered a crime involving moral turpitude, Department of State policy is to refer an alien who has been convicted of DUI within the last 5 years to a physician for a determination as to whether the alien suffers from alcohol dependency to determine whether the alien is inadmissible on medical grounds. Depending on the facts of your case this may or may not be an issue. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you how best to proceed.

One or more answers have been taken down.