Moving to USA with Dui on criminal record help?

Saint Petersburg, FL |

Hey i have been planning to move to USA for long time. My dad is US citizen and my whole family from my dad side and all of them are living there in USA basicly in NY and FL .
I have visited in USA at my dad and relatives like once or twice a year and i was planning to move there when i got my school finished (im 19 years old finland citizen and living with my mom in finland) But couple months ago i f***** up for real and caught on drunk driving when i was coming from school partys i feel so shame and bad... so im asking what should i do if i still wanna go to usa and is that still possible? i found out already that i have to ask for B2 visa next time when i wanna go to usa because im not able to use visa free program anymore :( but am i still able to get a Greencard and what should i do?

1. You should consult with an immigration attorney. Good luck
    www.colleenglenn.com

2. Please repost your question under immigration section of Avvo. Good luck!

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.

3. If your dad is a U.S. citizen, he can (and should) file for your green card right away. He cannot do it after you turn 21, so it's best to get started early. The one DUI should not preclude you from getting your green card through your father. However, the application process may be confusing, and you would be wise to retain an immigration lawyer to assist you.

4. While a simple DUI is generally not considered a crime involving moral turpitude, Department of State policy is to refer an alien who has been convicted of DUI within the last 5 years to a physician for a determination as to whether the alien suffers from alcohol dependency to determine whether the alien is inadmissible on medical grounds. Depending on the facts of your case this may or may not be an issue. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you how best to proceed.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.