Skip to main content

Moving to md can i get my drivers license there with pa revoked license

Red Lion, PA |

my license is revoked in pa, with no way to even drive to work and back. i was wondering if there is any way i can get a restricted license or anything just to get to work and back in the state of md once i move there

i just need a way to get to work and back and willing to have ignition interlock etc i just need to make a living, i have gone 6yrs already without a license and i have not been able to get and keep a job because i cant get there, i live in the country with no bus routes and no friends or anyone to take me anywhere, there has got to be an answer/ some kind of compromise i have major depression and dont know how much more i can handle due to my circumstances PLEASE HELP THERE HAS GOT TO BE A WAY TO AT LEAST GET MYSELF TO WORK thanks

Attorney Answers 3

  1. First I would make sure you contact a Maryland Attorney regarding this issue because all states have different rules and regulations regarding drivers licenses. Having said that, unfortunately since your PA license is revoked is very doubtful that Maryland would issue a license. Usuallly what happens in these circumstances is Maryland will say that you should resolve whatever issues you have in Pennsylania then apply for a MD license. As I said earlier this is something I would recommend talking over with an attorney from MD where you are trying to obtain the license.

  2. I agree with Mr. Cooper regarding contacting a Maryland attorney. It may be possible to get a limited license, which would allow you to drive to work and home. Only a Maryland attorney could tell you that. The fact that you were not licensed in the other state prior to the suspension is often a deal breaker in most states. Still, contact an attorney licensed in Maryland and see.

    Michael L. Doyle
    Attorney at Law
    (215) 900-5565

  3. I totally agree with the advice to consult with a Maryland attorney as to whether you are able to obtain a Maryland operator's license. There is now a National Registry of drivers. PENNDOT is a member. I have handled a number of cases where my client has obtained a judgment arising out of a motor vehicle accident. When the judgment is not paid it was certified to PENNDOT. PENNDOT suspends that driver for lack of financial responsibility. That driver then goes to another state to be licensed (in some cases the person obtained a license in the other state). On application to renew their other state license, the state rejected the renewal application based on PENNDOT's record.

    In several other situations a Pennsylvania resident has applied for a Pennsylvania license and has been rejected because of an unresolved motor vehicle violation in the other state. PENNDOT's position and that of most other states on driving licenses is to tell you to go back to the state where your license is suspended, clear up the problem, and the reapply.

    Mr. Geisenberger is a Pennsylvania-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Jacques H. Geisenberger, Jr., P.C.,does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics