Moving to illinois from california with a sex crime that is not a registrable offense in california?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL


I had a felony for a sex crime in california many years ago that did and does not require me to register as a sex offender in California.

I am just trying to see if I ever ended up moving to illinois if I would need to register in the state if I do not need to register in my state?

I heard of a change in the law on Jan 1s 2012 where you must register if you move there if you had to register in your home state, but if you moved prior to jan 1 of 2012 it would be based off of if that crime is similar to a crime in illinois and if it is then you must still register.

Does this new law means that I can move to Illinois and not have to register just as I would not here in the state of CA? (i've never had to register based off the judge's discretion)

Thank You in advance

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mitchell Scott Sexner


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . See 730 ILCS 150/2. It defines a sex offender as a person charged and convicted of a sex offense in another state which is substantially similar with the offenses set forth in this statute. It does not matter if you had to register in the other state.


    Attorney Mitchell S. Sexner
    Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC /o
    Defending your rights since 1990
    1 (800) 996 -4824
    Email: :
    Website: Criminal and Traffic Attorneys

    Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained... more
  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Seek assistance with a criminal defense attorney who completed your case in California for further guidance.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,374 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,374 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering