Moving to another state where DUI is an infraction not a misdemeanor

Asked about 1 year ago - Arlington, VA

I was convicted of a DUI about 3 years ago in VA, but I'm thinking about moving to New Jersey where a DUI is only a traffic infraction not a misdemeanor. If I'm allowed to obtain a NJ drivers license how will the DUI show up on my driving record as an infraction or as a misdemeanor ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . FWIW, NJ doesn't deal with felonies and misdemeanors--they have criminal and non-criminal categories. DUI is non criminal (so my NJ attorney friends tell me) and their DUI stays on a drivers record forever.

    Penalities for DUI in NJ are just as hard as elswhere in the country

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of... more
  2. Patrick Joseph Casey


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It will show up as a DUI on your record.

  3. Ethan Patrick Meaney


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes it will show up.

    This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.
  4. Christopher Irvin Simser

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It will show up as a DUI.

    NJ will not grant you a license until you have had your VA license restored, assuming that is your "home" state.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,132 answers this week

3,082 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,132 answers this week

3,082 attorneys answering