Motorcycle Death

Asked over 1 year ago - Richmond Hill, GA

My son father got killed last month on his motorcycle. The lady did not yield. When we finally got the police report back she had alcohol and drugs in her system. His father got a lawyer for the insurance policy. But i was wondering how much can we get from that. My son is only 2 so who will they give the money to.

1. L. Ty Wilson

Pro

11

Answered . You need to speak with an attorney on this claim. Your son is the primary person who has a claim for his father's death. Your son's father is not the primary beneficiary, what that means is your son is the first person in line to receive any recovery.

Call a Georgia attorney today.

Ty

This response is for general information only, no attorney client privilege has been established by this communication.

Pro

11

Answered . Were you married? You would need a lawyer as it is unlikely the father will give you a penny. The secret to finding a wrongful death deather is finding one with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you end up with the lion's share of the settlement, not the lawyer.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Only 29% fee deducted.

Lassen Law Firm
    1515 Market St #1510
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    215-510-6755
    http://www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Brett Ladd

Pro

9

Answered . Your question itself indicates that you you may not be accurately informed about this matter. Give me a call and we can sort things out.

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

Pro

10

Answered . Get ahold of a local injury lawyer immediately. Your son likely has the greatest claim to proceeds.

5. Randy William Ferguson

10

Answered . The money would go to the child in probate court. He would be the legal heir. There are no set rules on how much you can get in a case.

6. Jeffrey Mark Adams

10

Answered . Very sorry for this tragic loss. Your post is not clear. Regardless, there are insurance issues at play here. Carriers need to be put on notice and theories of liability need to be addressed. Contact local and qualified litigation counsel asap. Good luck.

7. Kevin Coluccio

9

Answered . First, I am very sorry for your and your family's loss. You should contact a qualified personal injury attorney in your community to discuss all issues regarding the accident, who can bring the claim and who will receive the proceeds. Getting in touch with an attorney as soon as possible is important. Best wishes to all of you as you deal with this great loss.

8. Jonathan P. Sexton

Pro

6

Answered . Your question raises more questions. Is your son the only child of the gentleman that was killed? Was he married when he was killed? Regardless of the answers to these questions what is clear is that if your son's father was killed due to the negligence of the other driver, then your son has a claim. Any money that is obtained on the claim would be your son's if he is the only heir and there is no spouse. Because he is only 2, any settlement would probably best be set up in some type of annuity or structured settlement for his beneift. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding this matter. I practice throughout the state of Georgia and would be happy to help you.

9. John Michael Phillips

Pro

5

Answered . The loss of a loved one is the most difficult experiences any person goes through in their lifetime and the loss of a parent, even though your son was two, was premature and the person who did it should be punished- civilly and criminally. Under Georgia law, one or both of you would have the ability to recover "the full value of the life of the decedent without deducting for any of the necessary or personal expenses of the decedent had he lived." O.C.G.A. S 51-4-1. This would be a large amount and insurance carriers tend to low-ball and play games with settlement.

Were you and the son's father married? Either way, this is a very time-sensitive and procedurally challenging case- not difficult, but wrongful death cases require an experienced attorney to make sure you are getting all of the policy limits available- and more- potentially. Your son may receive all of the money and there may need to be a guardian appointed over the proceeds. I wouldn't recommend discussing it much further in this forum

I'd like to speak to you about this case. Give me a call tomorrow- 800-6-know-law or email me at jmp@knowthelawyer.com. You can review our website www.knowthelawyer.com for more information.