Motorcycle accident, my passenger was injured. My insurance wont pay whole medical bill. Can she sue them and could they sue me?

Long Island City, NY |

No other vehicles were involved and no property damaged. If she tries to sue them, can they try to sue me for the damages? I was going between 65 and 70 on a 65mph speed limit. My motorcycle is registered, but the inspection was out of date. I haven't got the police report yet but I think it's a no fault accident. Also just for my knowledge, could she easily sue me directly?

I believe motorcycle passengers get no fault insurance coverage so she can sue or arbitrate with your carrirt over the bills. She can also sue you for pain and suffering, lost wages, etc. If she gets no fault insurance then she has to show serious injury as defined in the Insurance Law to sue you.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

She has a claim against your insurer. If her damages exceed the amount of available coverage, she has a potential claim against you.

I tend to agree with the responding attorneys. You should contact your insurance carrier to understand your policy and what the legal implications are of said policy. Best of luck.