MOTION TO VACATE DEFAULT

Asked 10 months ago - Santa Ana, CA

Hello, I am a self represented litigant. I filed a complaint. Defendant failed to file a response. I got the default and then Defendant filed a Motion to Vacate Default. The Motion was granted and the defendant was supposed to file their answer by no later than 06/22/2013. The defendant has not filed an answer. I am not sure if I can resubmit a request for default or if I need to file a motion to dismiss the case. The trial date has been set for next year. Can anyone tell me what is my next step? please thank you.

1. Antoinette Cara Liewen

1

Answered . Submit your Request for Default.

2. Christian Frederick Paul

1

Answered . As Ms. Liewen says, seek default of the defendant, who has now failed to respond to the complaint after getting the first default set aside.

Do not dismiss the case. That would put an end to the litigation and prevent you from getting your judgment without filing a new case, if you can.

After default is entered, you can seek a default judgment by clerk or by court, depending on the circumstances. Good luck.

3. Joseph Sampson Ford Jr

Pro

Answered . Do not file a motion to dismiss the case. File a Request for Default. Depending on the department/division, the judge may potentially set an Order to Show Cause (OSC) hearing re: Default if you do not file another Request for Default.

4. Eric Burton Strongin

Pro

Answered . You need to begin anew in requesting an entry of default and then requesting a default judgment. You do not want to file a motion to dismiss your own case. Good luck!