Motion to Strike Demurrer a bad idea?

Asked over 3 years ago - Fremont, CA

I had previously mentioned the 4-month wait to have opposing party's demurrer to cross-complaint heard. I called the clerk, and there are definitely a couple of sooner slots available, but I think it will be tough to prove it was a deliberate dilatory tactic. An opposition to the demurrer will be fairly easy, I believe, but I think that I also may have a good argument to strike the demurrer as the RJN (on which the demurrer relies) was requested in the body of the demurrer, rather than as a separate document as required by CRC. However, I am concerned that a motion to strike the demurrer might be granted with leave to amend, which might be difficult to accomplish before trial, and might just muck things up, in which event I would have been better off not requesting it at all. Any thoughts?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Best Answer

Answered . Bad idea. My suggestion is that you file a First Amended Complaint to obviate the necessity for a Demurrer to the original Complaint. This way, the Demurrer which is set for hearing in November automatically becomes moot.

2. James Kenneth Sweeney

1

Answered . If a demurrer has been fled I think you must have leave of court in order to file an amended complaint. I believe that only when the defendant has not yet appeared in the case - by answer, demurrer or motion - may plaintiff unilaterally file an amended complaint.

Nonetheless, it is almost axiomatic for a court to grant leave to amend should a demurrer be sustained.