Motion to reopen

Bowie, MD |
Filed under: Immigration court

I was placed on deportation 13 years ago as an overstay alien. Currently married to a USC for almost 6 years My previous attorney did not file the motion to reopen on time based on my marriage to a usc, and the motion was denied. I was picked up by the service a couple of days ago but was released under supervision a few hours later. The officer told me I am now legal and authorized to work. The document that he gave me states that the service did not enforce the deportation within the time allowed by the law, therefore I am free to be at large. I already have an approved I 130, and my current attorney filed another motion to reopen based on the incompetence of previous counsel. Question is can I file an I485 with the service or do I still have to wait for the Judge. Its been a year now.

If you are in removal proceedings, you'll have to be patient to file your Adjustment of Status before the Immigration Court. If you have reasons to expedite the merits of your case, then you can ask your attorney to enter into a joint motion with the government to get an expedited hearing.

There are many competent attorneys who regularly handle removal proceedings before the immigration court. Among them, we can recommend Rachel Ullman (Wheaton), Ron Richey (Rockville) and Jay Marks (Silver Spring).

You have absolutely no business on this forum. YOU HAVE A LAWYER. CONTACT THE LAWYER FOR ANY CONCERNS YOU HAVE CONCERNING YOUR IMMIGRATION MATTER.
THIS IS THE REASON YOU RETAINED THE LAWYER IN THE FIRST PLACE.
DO NOT UNDERMINE YOUR CASE BY UNDERMINING YOUR LAWYER.
THIS IS A VERY SIMPLE MATTER TO DEAL WITH.
YOU CAN FILE the i-485 WITH THE COURT, YOUR LAWYER CAN DEAL WITH THAT.
YOU ARE PAYING THE LAWYER, I HOPE, TO REPRESENT YOUR INTEREST, AND IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE SERVICE, SEEK ANOTHER LAWYER OUT FOR REPRESENTATION.
GOODLUCK.