Motion to quash garnishment question.

Surprise, AZ |

Received motion which stated "it appears from the answer of the garnishee (JPMorgan Chase) that the guarnishee did not owe nonexempt monies to the judgement debtor when the writ was served on it; that the garnishee did not have in its possession any monies or nonexempt persoanl property of the judgement debtor when the writ was served. For this reason ,the Judgement Creditor requests that the garnishment be quashed and the garnishee discharged from further obligation." Please explain.

1. This is part speculation because I do not know the specifics of your case, but it appears that the creditor that had a judgment against you tried to garnish a bank account that they believed was yours. The Garnisee (Chase) did not have any of your money so answered accordingly. Now the creditor is simply moving to quash their own unsuccessful garnishment attempt.

This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

2. To quash something means to cancel it. The creditor's motion indicates that it delivered a writ to a party who responded that they did not have any property that either belonged to you or was unprotected by the laws of your state.

I would expect this judgment creditor to continue to look for assets belonging to you that it may be entitled to take to pay off the judgment.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. I agree with the previous two answers. Although from my perspective, I am not sure if you are the judgment creditor or the judgment debtor. A more specific explanation and question will help you get a better answer. In Arizona, the Justice Court has a "garnishment packet" for wage garnishments and for non-wage garnishments. If you to get through this on your own without an attorney, I recommend you obtain whichever of these packets applies to your situation. It will explain the basics of the garnishment process in Arizona and what the Creditor must do to get a valid garnishment. If you are the debtor, you will then know when to object if the Creditor does something wrong. You will also understand the terminology and why certain papers are being filed and what they are for. Good luck