Motion to force legal name

Asked over 1 year ago - Cincinnati, OH

What motion exactly would i file for my ex wife to be forced to use my sons legal last name in school and sports and anything from now on?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Timothy Dale McKinzie

    Contributor Level 7
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I am not sure you can compell her to use your son's actual last name. If you can, you would file a post decree motion in your divorce case asking for a court order requiring that she use his legal last name. Alternatively, you could just contact the school or institution and give them proof of his actual name such as his birth certificate.

  2. Anne Harvey

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I think you would need to file a motion for her to use his name first; if this hasn't been done, you should file in your divorce case.

    This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer because I answer a question intended for general information only.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,679 answers this week

3,022 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,679 answers this week

3,022 attorneys answering