Motion to Compel Interrogatories - Was it done correctly? This is for a Custody Case

Asked over 1 year ago - 20678

Filed the motion to compel on 05/14/2013 after opposing side (at the time was prose) did not answer within 30 days. Were we supposed to do anything else? I heard something about "good faith"? Thank you

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Bennett James Wills


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Before filing a motion to compel discovery/sanctions in a discovery dispute you are required to attempt to resolve the dispute in good faith. This can be done by sending a couple of letters and phone calls and giving the other side one more chance to respond or at least acknowledge the mistake and fix it. If the other side, within a reasonable amount of time does not respond to your good faith requests, then you can file a motion to compel and ask for sanctions. You can provide the court with copies of your letters and explain your other attempts to resolve the dispute before court. If the court is satisfied that you have attempted to resolve the dispute in good faith, then the court may order the other party to answer plus sanctions against the other side. Discovery can be complex, I always recommend speaking with an attorney. - This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for... more
  2. Brandy Ann Peeples


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Before you can file a Motion to Compel and/or Motion for Sanctions, you must make "good faith" attempts to resolve the discovery dispute. This includes calling and/or writing the opposing side to try to get the side to produce the discovery. Courts really don't like to get involved in discovery disputes, so the protocol is to try to resolve it yourself first.

    Your Motion to Compel will not even be considered by the court if it does not have the Rule 2-431 Certificate of Good Faith with it. If you did not file the Certificate, expect your motion to be denied.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,936 answers this week

3,653 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,936 answers this week

3,653 attorneys answering