Motion for Reconsideration Question?

Woodland Hills, CA |

Is there case law in California that states that a battered spouse should not have to be part of the reunification therapy process with Father-child? The court did not order the spouse to attend but the therapist is requiring it. This new evidence was known after the order was entered by judge to start reunification therapy. Therapist is aware there is a current TRO in place for mother and child, yet she is still insisting upon having both parents participate. Mother still receives threats from Father. Mother and attorney were not present when orders were made; requested continuance; judge denied it. Where can I find free case law that will support motion for reconsideration.

Why were you and your attorney not present? Why is your attorney not doing something? Your fact situation does not make sense to me.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

My attorney had an emergency and could not attend and I was advised that since the request to continue would be granted I did not have to attend. She is not my attorney anymore. I am doing this in pro per now since this is a very big issue since no one was there besides Respondent's. Now I have to do this Motion to reconsider since I do not have another alternative. I will not attend reunification therapy since I was not ordered to but the therapist is requesting it. Daughter was also abused by Father just short of a year ago. I want to make sure that another therapist is considered since this therapist.

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like the court ordered therapy sessions between the father and the child. You are the mother and have a restraining order against the father. If that is all true, and there is no explicit order that you participate in the therapy sessions, then you do not have to. A therapist cannot order you to do anything, only the court can.

Yes orders are between Father and child. Restraining order is for myself and child. I didn't want the therapist to be negative against me because I refuse to attend or participate with Father.