Motion For Contempt failure to pay child support. Paid with tax refund. Will I go to jail if I have job interview?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Pierce, FL

Court is tomorrow . I have no money for a lawyer and worried that I will go to jail . I did my refund child support taken it out . I received a letter from deep . of treasury stating that . I have no income but cash assistance but thats with my wife and four kids that stay with me . I really don't know if the child is really mine . I'm scared going to jail because I support the kids that stay with me . I do have a Job interview the day after court date . But will they still put me jail . I paid all that I owe through my tax refund ( 21879 ) . Is there anyway I could have the judge not send me jail . Can I request a DNA test too . I only worked one day last year but went many job interviews . Like I said mi scared of going to jail , never been to jail . I will pay any fines but not jail . no money and no lawyer .

the only income that I get is government cash assistance with my wife and four kids. The docuement that I have as dep. of treasury says they took out 2189 which is what i owe confirm by dep of revenue. i have my w-2 which I only worked one day last year and school tax form and dep. of treasury. I dont know what the judge will do, but I cant go to jail because I support my kids.(disabled) Can I ask for a Dna because I dont know if the child is mine. Can I get the payments reduce. THank you

1. James W Chandler

Pro

3

Answered . You may have waived your right to seek a DNA test depending on a few things. This case is much ore complicated than can be answered in a blog. Judge will not put people in jail who are making good faith efforts, but you probably should look into modifying, etc.

2. Charles A. Esposito

1

Answered . The Court can incarcerate you for non payment of child support if the non payment is willful. As far as DNA, that might be a moot issue. There shouldn't be a child support award at all unless at some point paternity was found or admitted.

3. Bruce Givner

Answered . Please let us know: did you go to jail? The other two lawyers who have responded gave you excellent advice.