Motion for Consolidation Family Law/Child Support

Orlando, FL |

What is a motion for consolidation in a family law/child support case?

It's a motion to join two different cases and two dofferent case numbers togather as one case. It sounds like, in your case, someone is trying to join the family law case and the Department of Revenue Child Support Case. DOR usually objects to that.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

A Motion to Consolidate is merely taking two cases that have previoulsy been filed and joining them together under one case number. For example you may have a child support case that was opened two years ago and you may have a new case for paternity or divorce that just got filed last week. These two cases will have different case numbers and perhaps even different judges. So a Motion to Consolidate will ask the judge to merge the two cases together and give them one case number and one judge.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice nor does it constitute an attorney-client relationship

The attorneys who answered are correct in that procedurally consolidation joins and/or merges two separate cases to be heard before the same judge. You may wish to discuss the specific details of your case with an attorney so that they can go over any objections you may have to this, or alternatively, why this could be to your benefit, and ultimately, what this will mean for you and your case.