Skip to main content

Mother stole her daughter's inherited IRA.

Concord, CA |

My father passed away and left IRAs to his wife (my stepmother, whom I never lived with but who is abusive and manipulative), their daughter (my half-sister, age 30), and his other children, of whom I am one. My stepmother did not tell her daughter about the inheritance. She forged her name, took her money, and now supports her with it. She had the gall to tell me my half-sister was not left anything. I have records of the beneficiaries. I told my 1/2 sister about the money. She asked her mom but got more lies. She is cowed by her mom and won't fight back. Now there's a small settlement the mom is stealing. I doubt I can do anything on my own, but I'd love to turn in the mom. Can I?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Call the Cops!

    This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. You cannot rely on my response to your question. My response to your question is probably worth exactly what you paid for it. You don't get to sue me for anything. If you'd like to sue me, well you have to hire me first. Here's how you can hire me! #1 Call: 1-888-463-2843 #2 Email: #3 See me on TV! - go to the Ask the Expert tab! #4 Listen to my radio show (2 full hours every week!) - go to the podcast section.

  2. Get an attorney and sue

    This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

  3. Turn the matter over the local police and also discuss with an attorney.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  4. YOur best move would be to file a suit. I doubt the police will do anything.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics