Mother passed away had a small trust bills were paid remainer split between 5 children ($2700) Trust closed.

Sacramento, CA |
Filed under: Estate planning

Found another credit card that was in auto pay being paid out of one of the childrens accountsto help out. What to do with the card now she is deceased and it wasn't in the trust

1. I am not entirely sure I understand your situation. It sounds like there are creditors, but no assets. If that is the case, I would notify the creditor of your mother's death and the fact that the estate is insolvent. It is possible that some or all of that trust could have been preserved. Since it is now gone, I do not see what the creditor can do, given there is no estate or trust to collect from.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. I agree with Attorney Frederick, but would add that the Trustee is/was responsible for notifying creditors before distribution(s) were made. The question is phrased as if this autopay card is a brand new revelation; the person making the payment would have known about it right? Perhaps it should have been paid from that $2,700.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mrs. Cook is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in San Diego County. She is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

3. The other attorney's have given good advise. Contact the credit card company, explain the situation. Most of the time the credit card company will work with you to pay a fraction of the amount owed under the situation.

4. Credit cards are not listed specifically in a trust but the sucsessor trustee has a responsibility to "marshall" all of the estates debts and insure that they are paid off. The credit card company could go after the balance through the account that was assigned to pay for the credit card regardless of how the estate was distributed. If not to burdensome, I suggest that the children pool their resources and pay off the card company.

Wills and estates topics