Mother forged my name (daugher) as a co signer for a private student loan. Don't want to send mom to prison what are my options?

Pennsylvania |

Mother forged my name (daugher) as a co signer for a private student loan. Don't want to send mom to prison what are my options? I was told to file a police report. The signature is clearly not mine. I did not receive any of the money for my schooling but it was for my sisters education. My mother has filed bankruptcy and i have been named the prime holder of the loan. My sister is more than willing to pay the loan and backs me that i had nothing to do with the loan but sallie mae wont take me off as a co signer. what can i do to save my credit?

I recommend contacting Sallie Mae and asking to whom you should address your written complaint/concerns. Therafter, send a letter to Sallie Mae along with a sworn affidavit, (have it notarized) stating that you did not sign the document. There is no need, at this time, to state who signed the loan document, only that you are not the person that signed the document. It would be helpful to have at least two other persons send in affidavits (again, notarized) stating that they are familiar with your signature, have examined the document in question, and in their respective opinions, the signature on the document is not in your handwriting.

In sum, it is better to take the offensive at this stage than to wait until it is too late to save your credit.