Mother 77yrs blind was suppose to be a co signer for a automobile income is 52.00 a month relative piggybacked loan in her name.

San Bernardino, CA |

A relative contacted my mother and convinced her to sign a auto loan cosigner only. The relative will not disclose the contract she has it in her posession. Nor the details pertaining to the transaction. She the relative has posession of the car. But, it is in my mothers name only. I contacted the dealer and the owner and he called the relative. She has not responded to any communication. I have contacted Nissan Motor Corp. they have sent me fraud paperwork. My mother is responsible for this vehicle totally. Because she is blind. She is uninsurable on my fathers policy. My father did not give permission for the loan. But they are using his income without his signature. I've been in the car business since 1982. . please help.

This is DEFINITELY 'Elder Abuse'. Report it to the Police (file a report) and to the State agency in California that handles Elder Abuse Cases --- possibly the California Attorney General's office. Next speak with an Elder Law attorney (easily found on Avvo.Com under Find-A-Lawyer). Good Luck on this !!

2. I suggest getting a local attorney asap and to consider filing a police report for elder abuse. Don't wait.

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

3. Send a certified letter to the relative demanding she return the car to your mother with a certain time period. Clearly state that she doesn't have permission to possess or drive the car. If she does not return the car you can report it stolen.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.

Wills and estates topics