Skip to main content

Most of my wife's credit cards and misc bank accts are still under her maiden name, one year later. Is she asking for trouble??

Atlanta, GA |

My wife changed her name with the SS office & her driver's license well over a year ago, but still hasn't gotten around to changing her credit cards & misc bank accounts. In fact, even our joint account had her maiden name until about a week ago.

We're getting ready to apply for a mortgage, and I feel like this is going to come back to haunt us somehow. I keep asking her to get it done, but she's convinced that it's no big deal. Am I just being paranoid? If you change your name, aren't you supposed to change it everywhere??

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    While it may cause some limited confusion when she applies for new credit or tries to cash checks, as long as she isn't deliberately defrauding anyone, it's not a big deal. Having said that, she'll have fewer small inconveniences in life if she does update her accounts.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

  2. There usually isn't any reason to worry or rush to change the names with creditors (all things being equal). But, as a matter of "housekeeping", if she is planning on keeping her new name, it would make sense to notify the creditors at some point, But again, there is probably no need to worry about it for any other reason than she may still want to be known by her maiden name, and for what purpose.

    The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

  3. Credit is based on social security numbers, and many ladies no longer give up their names when they get married. I know I didn't! I can't see how having credit in her original name would prevent her from applying for credit jointly with her. Hope this perspective helps!

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics