Most likley sentence first time felony retail theft IL

Asked almost 4 years ago - Aurora, IL

I was accused of stealing property from a store in the amout of over 500 dollars, also they found merchindise in my vehicle that was from that same retail store on the same day worth roughly 400 and I am accused of entering the store three times and stealing merchindise and bringing it back to my vehicle. On the third time was when I was aprehended. I am 34 years old and this is my first time offence and I have no criminal record at all. They put me in jail for the night because this was a felony charge. I should mention that when they arrested me they had not had a search warrent yet for my car so the next day when I had bail hearing that eviidence was not yet in play. I bailed out with 300 but now they found all the other stuff in my car. I go back in two weeks what is possible sentence?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Hire a lawyer, stay off line (the internet is not private and the police scan Avvo regularly in DuPage). Your sentence could exceed 365 days of jail time, i.e. felony time.

    God bless you and good luck.

  2. John P. Yetter

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is difficult to answer this without knowing which county you are being prosecuted in. Depending on that, the answer could range from an agree dismissal through diverted prosecution to felony probation. Contact a lawyer experienced in the county you are going to court in and you should get a better answer.

    Take the opportunity to hire the best local lawyer you can find and you may not even end up with a record of this following you around.

    John Yetter

  3. Mohammed Omar Badwan

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . As a first time offender, I highly doubt you will get jail time. Your offense is probationable. I highly recommend hiring a competent defense attorney to handle your case. A case can not be reasonably evaluated until discovery (the prosecution handing over all evidence against you) is complete. It is imperative that you do not commit any new crimes while your case is pending.

  4. Michael J. Helfand

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You could be facing jail time, although probation is more likely on a first offense. The best way to handle this is to find an experienced criminal defense attorney who appears often in the court where your case will be heard. If you find someone with experience in your type of case they should be able to tell you what to expect. If you need a referral, feel free to give me a call. I'd be happy to recommend someone. 1-800-517-1614. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,040 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,040 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering