More information about Internet Copyright Law Enforcement Agency concerning a lawsuit for copyright infringement .

Houston, TX |

I searched on map quest the address at 1455 Pennsylvania Avenue , NW , Washington DC 20004 and it is the Willard Intercontinental Hotel . Places at this address are : McNabb Associates , Know Limit Learning and Make A Wish Car Donation . There is no Copyright Law Enforcement Agency listed at this address . This looks like a scam requesting $ 495 . 00 by Mar 1 , 2013 to settle the lawsuit . I will be contacting my State Attorney General & the Justice Department in Washington DC .

1. What is your question? You have been served with a law suit or a threat of a suit unless payment is made?

Be aware that there are many legal firms out there searching the internet for trademark and copyright infringement. When they find an illegal copy being sold or trademark being abused, they contact the person and typically offer to settle for a nominal fee, or else they will bring suit. These firms follow through with their threats and do successfully sue hndreds of individuals.

I would suggest that if you have received such a letter iinforming you that you have infringed someones rights, you need to talk with an attorney. Many of these are not scams. (But I also would not simply send someone a check without verification either.)

Good luck

My disclaimer is simply that Avvo already has an adequate disclaimer.

2. Asker: Good work. Copyright Enforcement Group is located in Beverly Hills, California. Thus, Copyright Law Enforcement Agency may well be a scam.

3. Good sleuthing. This is almost certainly one of the phoney copyright trolls, not a real troll. This one's likely from Nigeria not DC. Do not pay them without more proof of their legitimacy.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

4. I have yet to see these letters, but I checked out the website. Looks very suspect, and the domain registration information is protected. See links below to help report scams.

To schedule a consultation, call my office at 407-965-5519. I am licensed to practice in Florida only. My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given after learning all circumstances and conducting a comprehensive examination, including being able to ask questions, and cannot be given just from reading one question on an Q&A board such as this.