Month to Month Lease Termination

Asked about 2 years ago - Solvang, CA

I am moving out of an apartment with a month to month lease. Landlords are claiming I must give them a copy of a signed lease to where I am moving and then they will only charge me prorated rent for the 30 day period or I must pay the entire months rent in full even after the 30 days and they will only return the rest of the rent for the days if the inspection checks out even though I've already paid a security deposit. What is the law?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christopher Deguzman Bernabe

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . There is no law which requires a tenant to provide a soon-to-be ex-landlord a copy of the new lease in order to receive a proper rent refund and/or security deposit refund.

    You must pay rent only for the actual days you occupy the leased premises. If you give proper 30-day notice and the last day is any day other than the last day of the month, you need pay only prorated rent for the days you actually occupied the premises. For example - if you gave notice on 5/5/12 with a projected move-out date of 6/5/12 and you actually moved out and returned the keys on 6/5/12, you would owe only 5 days' worth of rent.

    Technically, the landlord could serve you with a 3-day pay/quit notice on 6/2/12 demanding the entire month's rent. But if you vacate before the 3-days expires, he would not be able to file an unawful detainer action against you in court though you would still owe prorated rent for the days you occupied the premises.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It's a bit unclear what your goal is.

    If you wish to terminate a month to month lease, your only obligation under the law is to serve the landlord with a 30 day written notice of termination. You must then pay rent for the entire 30 day period.

    However, if you wish to pay LESS than the 30 days rent and move out earlier, then the landlord could ask you for a copy of the new lease in order to consider an accommodation for your benefit.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  3. Peyman Dadmehr

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You are only required to give your 30-day notice, not a copy of your lease for where you are moving to. As far as your landlord is concerned, you may be planning to go sleep in the local park on the 31st day and it would not be your landlord's business.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now