Money was left to me in trust what do I have to do regarding paying tax

Asked almost 2 years ago - Mill Hall, PA

Cousin died left bank money to me in trust

1. Joseph M. Masiuk

Pro

4

Answered . I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by saying "in trust" or "bank money". If, by using the term "bank money" you are telling us that your cousin set up an account which was titled either "ITF" (in trust for) or POD (payable on death), then you are responsible for fifteen (15%) percent Pennsylvania inheritance tax..

If, however, the money left to you was part of a bigger estate of your cousin, then his estate generally is responsible for the inheritance tax.

Either way, I'd consult an attorney (and take the bank statement or passbook with you) to advise you.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

2

Answered . Mr. Masiuk offers a good answer, as usual. In addition to the inheritance tax issue there could be other tax and non-tax issues so you should see an attorney about how to handle it.

3. Adam S. Bernick

2

Answered . A related issue is wheter there is an actual trust document governing the inheritance. If there is such a trust document this may state conditions on distribution of the principal and income to you, inheritance taxes and other issues. If you have such a document or it exists you need to consult an attorney to discuss the matter in more detail. If you received assets via an "in trust for/ITF account" you still need to find out if there is a will or trust that has a tax clause stating who has to pay the inheritance tax.