Money spent on counsel.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Petaluma, CA

Is there a way to clarify cost for a divorce. I'm having to empty out my 401k for counsel and I am 62 years of age. I've gotten very little help for $10,000.00, a year later, with more billing from attorney ahead. I lost temp spousal and coverage of legal fees due to counsel not speaking & countering bold untrue statements made by husbands attorney. My counsel did not speak or counter a word.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Donald Frederick Conviser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you don't have confidence in your lawyer, you aren't bound forever to your lawyer. You can interview other experienced Family Law Attorneys and retain one to take over your representation.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  2. Erin Patricia Farley

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Divorce is a difficult process - both emotionally and financially. I am so sorry. Unfortunately, there is no way to estimate the cost of a family law matter because so much is dependent upon both the complexities of the matter and, to a larger extent, the personalities of the litigants. If one party is not amenable to settlement, or is not wholly honest, then having to litigate every issue will drive up your fees through no fault of counsel.

    Sometimes, untrue statements are made, but the attorney has no evidence to effectively counter the statement or it may not be an appropriate time too argue the statements (ie, when the matter is not at issue). It is appropriate to ask questions of counsel so that you understand the procedural process. Discuss forms of alternative dispute resolution with your counsel. The most efficient way to keep your costs down is to settle. Good luck.

  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It can be a money pit especially if you have ineffective counsel.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Dividing a 401(k) in a Divorce

A 401(k) retirement savings account, like other assets owned by a married couple, may be included in a division of property during divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,639 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,639 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering