Skip to main content

Mixing illegal drugs with food. Punishment.

Brooklyn, NY |

So, if your guilty of being in possession of illegal drugs such as weed, you will get punished by law by the amount of marijuana you have. For example, just a couple ounces will maybe get you time in jail or monetary fine. However, what if you mixed the same amount of the weed into brownies? The couple ounces would turn into a couple *pounds* of illegal substance. Will the punishment be more severe? If so, please explain.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. This is not a forum to offer advice on the best way of storing and possessing illegal substances.

    It is best to not be in possession of any illegal substances, ever.

    That said: I do not perceive how a standard arrest and conviction as relates to drug charges would be able to discern the exact ratio of illegal substance to non-illegal substance in a mixture. Mixing an illegal substance with a legal substance would still be illegal; I would think this to be the equivalent of someone possessing X amount of say, cocaine, even though it may have been mixed with filler ingredients.

    Err on the side of caution: when you make brownies, use fudge and sugar, not cannabis.

  2. I don't see how they can charge for pounds although if this is an idea for a new business, stop now.
    The labs can usually test for the percentage that is pure for cocaine etc.... so they may be able to do the same for weed but only a chemist would know that answer!

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  3. Yes the punishment is different depending on the weight but it is the weight of the illegal substance that controls not the weight of the product.
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( ) ----------------------------------------

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics