Mistakes in separation agreement and signing under duress

Peekskill, NY |

I signed a separation agreement that has many errors, but at the time I did not have a choice. I really need help from a lawyer who believes in me and who truly understands the dynamics of living in a emotionally abusive environment. I have gotten a lot of bad advice and I need help contesting the agreement.

The agreement is 6 months old. The divorce paperwork has not been filed.

1. Did you have an attorney when you signed the Agreement? If you have a ground upon which to try to contest the agreement, it will involve motion practice and can get very complicated. Unfortunately, this will be a lengthy and expensive process.

2. I am not sure I understand your facts but do consult in person to find a lawyer and keep looking until you find the right one for you. You really cannot tell that online. Time spent in person is better then your time spent online. Best to you.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

3. You can get relief under limited circumstances but it's worth the fight to try. Experienced matrimonial counsel can be of assistance.