Missing court due to hospitalization

Asked over 3 years ago - Pensacola, FL

My family member has a court date for their first offense dui in about a week. It appears that they are going to be in the hospital for a life-threatening condition on the particular day of court. We were planning on seeking assistance from the public defender's office upon getting into court(this will be first time there since getting arrested for the dui). Would getting a note from the doctor to the court before the scheduled date suffice? What is our best course of action? Thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Daniel J. Rose

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Immediately inform the Public Defender and bring paperwork in regards to the hospitalization and then the Public Defender can ask for a continuance with the Court.

    Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not... more
  2. Wayne E. Brucar

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Getting documentation of their medical condition and reason for not being in court is essential to trying to keep a warrant from issuing. It must be presented to the court. The public defender cannot help you unless appointed and is unlikely the judge will do so unless your family member is there to apply for services.

    Wayne Brucar

    Please understand that answering this doesn’t create an attorney/client relationship between us, and as hard as... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,444 answers this week

2,719 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,444 answers this week

2,719 attorneys answering