Missed my court my court date offense was 220.03 what will happen when I turn myself in

Asked about 1 year ago - Yonkers, NY

I was arrested for a empty bag of coke but the bag was placed by another person in the car

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

4

Answered . It depends. If you go voluntarily, most judges will release you.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Richard C. Southard

Pro

4

Answered . There is likely a warrant for your arrest. I strongly suggest hiring a criminal defense attorney to arrange your surrender and get the warrant vacated. Depending on your prior history, a judge could set bail upon your return and you may be required to pay money to get out of jail to fight this case.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . I suggest you retain a criminal defense lawyer. If you have no record and voluntarily go to court the Judge will likely release you. Your lawyer may be able to work out a disposition ahead of time so there is no issue.

4. Taylor A. Koss

Pro

1

Answered . How long ago was your court date? Do you have a reasonable explanation for why your missed the court appearance? These are factors that could play into whether or not a Judge will set bail upon your return. Additionally, a Judge will be more inclined to release you if you turn yourself in, as opposed to having to be brought in by the warrant squad. Another factor that will likely be considered is whether or not you have a history of bench warrants. Only you know the answers to these questions. If you hire an attorney, and effectively communicate with him/her, you greatly increase your chance of being released upon turning yourself in.

5. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

2

Answered . You should hire an attorney to withdraw the capias and show up at the hearing to explain why you missed. No judge will withdraw the capias unless he can see you in front of him voluntarily. Do not wait until you are arrested. Walk in the front door of the courtroon rather than the front door to the jail and you will probably do a lot better.