Skip to main content

Missed due date to complete traffic school in California, what now?

Santa Clara, CA |

I was supposed to send in my completion of traffic school by 9/16/13 but I did not. Now my case status is closed, the description reads, "Bail Forfeiture - TS Non-Completion," and the date posted is 10/4/13. I understand this means that I have forfeited the extra $50 I had paid for choosing to take traffic school in the first place but does this also mean that nothing more can be done?

I was hoping that I could still complete traffic school in order to not get a point on my driving record, which is otherwise clean. I am unsure if the Santa Clara County Superior Traffic Courts allow this as it is well past the due date, but I know some counties accept late traffic school certificates with an additional fee so any help in this matter is much appreciated.
Thank you for your time and efforts

I've been in treatment for a medical issue for the last 5 months, I'm not sure if this counts as a medical emergency but I have documentation to back it up if need be. Also, if a medical issue is an acceptable reason, would I have to disclose to the judge what the medical issue is exactly?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You could do a Motion Nun Pro Tunc to "turn back time" and ask the court to extend the deadline so you can finish the traffic school Do you have a good reason for not completing traffic school on time, something such as a death in the family or a medical emergency?

    Otherwise, I think you might be out of luck.

  2. You have to see if you can get your matter on calendar and request the judge additional time to complete traffic school. As Mr. Hill stated, some courts require a reason before they grant this. If you have an attorney that might help.


  3. Complete the class as soon as possible. Hire an attorney to explain why you finished late and ask for the mercy of the judge.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

  4. You may go to the courthouse and ask to see the judge in order to request additional time to complete traffic school.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics