Skip to main content

Missed court date for speeding ticket - Warrant issued

South River, NJ |

I had a court date yesterday for a speeding ticket which I honestly unintentionally missed. I called the country clerk and was told that a warrant was issued. I cant think of making up any excuses. How do I go about this ? Hire a lawyer or can I walk in and deal it personally. what should my excuses be ? Will I be arrested.

Thank you all for your feedback. To have an idea, what are the approximate costs I can incur from hiring a lawyer apart from the court fees/pay for the bail & ticket.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. A lawyer could help you get your case back on the calendar without having to post bail. IF you contact the court, they will tell you what the bail is. YOu could go to the court and post the bail and get your case back on the calendar. Any excuse you give should be the truth...lying to the court is never a good idea. There could be additional fines for missing court on top of the penalties for the speeding ticket, so hiring a lawyer is a good idea.

  2. I agree with Mr.Mark.

  3. Deal with it quickly. It's good that you caught it the next day. Just don't ignore the problem thinking it will go away. You should take Mr. Mark's advice on how to handle the situation. A lawyer would make the process easier.

  4. You show up the next scheduled court date, and ask the court admin to put you on the calendar. then you apologize for the mistake and assure the judge it won't happen again.

    if you have no prior offenses, you should be fine. if you have a history of speeding tickets and/or missing court dates, then you may want to hire an attorney to assist you.

    The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. If you feel you need to speak with an attorney regarding your issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney with expertise in your area of inquiry. The information related above is purely for informational purposes, and should not be acted upon without speaking with qualified counsel familiar with you specific situation and the laws related thereto.

  5. You can post bail in any police station. A lawyer may be able to lift the warrant without bail. If the speed is above 15MPH over the speed limit then a lawyer would be a very good idea.

    Law Offices of James A. Abate (732) 412-2364

  6. Missing court dates are taken seriously even if it is for something like a speeding ticket. Hiring a lawyer will likely help you more than not hiring a lawyer, both to deal with the ticket and warrant issued for failure to appear. Show up, apologize for your failure to appear and make sure it won't be repeated. Act quickly too, as it will show you're taking it seriously more so than if you blow it off.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

  7. I agree with Mr. Abate. Post the bail and explain to the Judge on the court date. You need to see if the FTA will result in a license suspension so watch the mail. They usually file an FTA before a warrant but i guess South River needs the money.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics