Missed court date for speeding ticket - Warrant issued

Asked over 1 year ago - South River, NJ

I had a court date yesterday for a speeding ticket which I honestly unintentionally missed. I called the country clerk and was told that a warrant was issued. I cant think of making up any excuses. How do I go about this ? Hire a lawyer or can I walk in and deal it personally. what should my excuses be ? Will I be arrested.

Thank you all for your feedback.
To have an idea, what are the approximate costs I can incur from hiring a lawyer apart from the court fees/pay for the bail & ticket.

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

11

Answered . A lawyer could help you get your case back on the calendar without having to post bail. IF you contact the court, they will tell you what the bail is. YOu could go to the court and post the bail and get your case back on the calendar. Any excuse you give should be the truth...lying to the court is never a good idea. There could be additional fines for missing court on top of the penalties for the speeding ticket, so hiring a lawyer is a good idea.

2. Travis J Tormey

10

Answered . I agree with Mr.Mark.

3. Steven Todd Keppler

7

Answered . You show up the next scheduled court date, and ask the court admin to put you on the calendar. then you apologize for the mistake and assure the judge it won't happen again.

if you have no prior offenses, you should be fine. if you have a history of speeding tickets and/or missing court dates, then you may want to hire an attorney to assist you.

4. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

8

Answered . Deal with it quickly. It's good that you caught it the next day. Just don't ignore the problem thinking it will go away. You should take Mr. Mark's advice on how to handle the situation. A lawyer would make the process easier.

5. James Alexander Abate

Pro

6

Answered . You can post bail in any police station. A lawyer may be able to lift the warrant without bail. If the speed is above 15MPH over the speed limit then a lawyer would be a very good idea.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
  6. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

6

Answered . Missing court dates are taken seriously even if it is for something like a speeding ticket. Hiring a lawyer will likely help you more than not hiring a lawyer, both to deal with the ticket and warrant issued for failure to appear. Show up, apologize for your failure to appear and make sure it won't be repeated. Act quickly too, as it will show you're taking it seriously more so than if you blow it off.

7. Mark M Cheser

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Abate. Post the bail and explain to the Judge on the court date. You need to see if the FTA will result in a license suspension so watch the mail. They usually file an FTA before a warrant but i guess South River needs the money.