Missed Court Date due to Hurricance Sandy?

Brooklyn, NY |

On Oct 31 I had a courtdate at 345 Broadway for my pink summons (Failure To Comply with Park Sign) but due to the effects of Hurrricane Sandy the courthouse was closed. I plan on trying to get my date rescheduled but I was wondering If I was stopped by the cops would I be arrested cause I didnt show up to court even though the courthouse was closed all last week?

Thanks everybody and im happy to that I recieved a letter today saying that my case has been dismissed

1. You will not be penalized for the non appearance. In fact, it is most likely that they already rescheduled it in the very least. You can check online on ecourts system. You may not even need to go to find out what happened.

2. No warrants were issued last week.
    Go down soon to handle it.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

3. Call the clerk and find out a new date.

4. Everyone is correct, if the courthouse was closed you couldn't appear, even if you wanted to or were able to. However, you should inquire as soon as possible as to when it is rescheduled to and make sure you appear on that day.

5. Published on Governor Andrew M. Cuomo (https://www.governor.ny.gov)
    Home > Printer-friendly
    Temporary Suspension and Modification of Statutory Provisions Establishing Time Limitations on Actions and Time in Which to Take an Appeal

WHEREAS, on October 26, 2012, I issued Executive Order Number 47 declaring a disaster emergency in all 62 counties in the State of New York;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, ANDREW M. CUOMO, Governor of the State of New York, by virtue of the authority vested in me by Section 29-a of Article 2-B of the Executive Law to temporarily suspend specific provisions of any statute, local law, ordinance, orders, rules or regulations, or parts thereof, of any agency during a State disaster emergency, if compliance with such provisions would prevent, hinder or delay action necessary to cope with the disaster, I hereby temporarily suspend, for the period from the date of this Executive Order until further notice, the following laws:

Section 201 of the Civil Practice Law and Rules, so far as it bars actions whose limitation period concludes during the period commencing from the date that the disaster emergency was declared pursuant to Executive Order Number 47, issued on October 26, 2012, until further notice, and so far as it limits a court’s authority to extend such time, whether or not the time to commence such an action is specified in Article 2 of the Civil Practice Law and Rules;

Section 5513 of the Civil Practice Law and Rules, so far as it relates to a limitation period that concludes during the period commencing from the date that the disaster emergency was declared pursuant to Executive Order Number 47, issued on October 26, 2012, until further notice;

Section 25 of the Court of Claims Act, so far as it relates to a limitation of time to appeal in which a limitation period concludes during the period commencing from the date that the disaster emergency was declared pursuant to Executive Order Number 47, issued on October 26, 2012, until further notice;

Sections 30.10 and 30.30 of the Criminal Procedure Law, so far as they may bar criminal prosecutions brought in Bronx, Dutchess, Kings, Nassau, New York, Orange, Putnam, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester Counties, in cases whose limitation periods conclude during the period commencing from the date that the disaster emergency was declared pursuant to Executive Order Number 47, issued on October 26, 2012, until further notice;

Subdivision (2) of section 310.10 of the Criminal Procedure Law, so far is it may limit the duration of a recess of a deliberating jury in Bronx, Dutchess, Kings, Nassau, New York, Orange, Putnam, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester Counties, in cases where such a recess was declared during the period commencing from the date that the disaster emergency was declared pursuant to Executive Order Number 47, issued on October 26, 2012, until further notice;

Sections 460.10, 460.30, 460.50 and Article 460 of the Criminal Procedure Law, so far as they relate to a limitation of time to appeal and such limitation period concludes during the period commencing from the date that the disaster emergency was declared pursuant to Executive Order Number 47, issued on October 26, 2012, until further notice; and

Section 1113 of the Family Court Act, so far as it relates to a limitation of time to appeal and such limitation period concludes during the period commencing from the date that the disaster emergency was declared pursuant to Executive Order Number 47, issued on October 26, 2012, until further notice;

In addition, I hereby temporarily suspend and modify, for the period from the date of this Executive Order until further notice, any other statute, local law, ordinance, order, rule or regulation or part thereof, establishing limitations of time for the filing or service of any legal action, notice or other process or proceeding that the courts lack authority to extend through the exercise