Missed court date, OR, being evicted, need help NOW please

Asked about 1 year ago - Troutdale, OR

My Boyfriend and I missed paying rent in January. We signed a new rent thing that lowers our rent and were led to believe January rent was no longer due. Unfortunately not in writing. Got a court date notice, unfortunately didn't see court date on the paper until today (it was yesterday). We owe 1500 now to them I think. We called the office when we got the paper and the office lady (not the land lady) said she didn't know why we got this and that she'd call if she found out. She never did so we thought nothing was wrong and ignored it. We went to pay something today and it was about 15 minutes to close when they told us. We were scrambling to make the payment by five but got caught in traffic and the land lady refused to stay open. I'm frightened. I don't know what to do.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Troy Austin Pickard

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you missed your first court date in an eviction case, and if the landlord did show up for court, chances are good that the judge automatically ruled in your landlord's favor. So at this point, not only are you in jeopardy of being removed from your home by the sheriff in a few days if you don't leave, you ALSO have a judgment of eviction against you, which can make it very difficult to find a new place to live.

    I recommend you hire a good landlord-tenant attorney to negotiate a deal with your landlord that can prevent any serious harm coming from this. You can call me for a free consultation.

    Portland Defender
    1001 Southwest 5th Ave.
    Portland, OR 97204
    (503) 592-0606

  2. Scot J Eliot

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The first step is to find out what has happened with the court proceeding. You can call the court and they should be able to tell you. Due to budget cutbacks the court has limited phone hours. If you have an eviction judgment against you then you may have very limited options. Your post does not provide the kind of details that an attorney will need to give you good advice. Feel free to give me a call for a free consultation. Best wishes, Scot Eliot

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,574 answers this week

2,868 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,574 answers this week

2,868 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary