Skip to main content

Missed child support court date, how should I proceed?

Woodstock, GA |

The clerk won't tell me what form to file or what to do because apparently this is "Legal advice". I am involved in a separate federal case, and have been traveling for hearings etc. I just need this date pushed back and my bench warrant lifted

Attorney Answers 2


You are long overdue to retain a lawyer. From what you say there is a warrant for your arrest, and that will not go away with forms or calling the clerk. It will probably not go away until your lawyer helps, and you may end up in jail. Take this seriously,. and by lunch time retain a lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree




Will speaking with child support and making payments help? it has in the past, but I am just tired of them robbing me, so I wanted to speak to the judge this time. I am just already paying almost $100,000 to lawyers for my federal case already and I really cannot afford anymore

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman


Not with a bench warrant. You will have to turn yourself in, and doing that with a lawyer will likely prevent or lessen your jail time.


This is not going to go away without the help of an attorney.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics