Misrepresentation by car dealer

Asked over 1 year ago - New Brunswick, NJ

I bought a car from a car dealer I didnt know anything about car deals and loans, dealer told me that she can arrange car loan for me I said ok the price of car $1600.00 she asked me to ad some features but she never told me that adding these features will cost me more money she added life insurance,disability insurance,loss of job insurance and etc, I swear that I didnt know that these features costing me money when she gave me dacuments to sighn there was price of $ 24000.00 I aksed her why it is $24000.00 instead of $16000.00 she said the car price is 16000.00 and you will pay $24000.00 with next 7 years but what happend the bank paid $24000.00 for car only and I am ending up with $31000.00. I am immigrant here and didnt know well about loans and all these thing. wt shud i do ?

1. Galen J Criscione

6

Answered . You may have a cause of action against the dealer, but it will depend upon what you signed, what they said to you, what type of extra items were added (the insurance coverages you mentioned do sound pretty unusual for a vehicle purchase), and most importantly what evidence you might have that misrepresentation was involved. Because if it is just your word against theirs and you signed all the documents, it could be difficult for you to prove your case, even if you have what sounds like a good case in theory. I would suggest to consult an attorney and explain all the details and go over all the documents that you signed with the attorney.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

4

Answered . This practice is sometimes called "loan packing" and has been found to be a violation of the consumer fraud act.

3. Mark M Cheser

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Consult a consumer fraud attorney ASAP.

4. Scott Richard Kaufman

4

Answered . Find a local consumer protection attorney like Howard Gutman (in NJ) here: http://www.naca.net
    There should be a no or low cost consultation available.

5. Arthur Joseph Obolsky

4

Answered . Consult with a consumer law attorney immediately.