Misdemeanor DUI, took deferred prosecution in Alabama, NOW I NEED HELP !!!

Asked over 2 years ago - Russellville, AL

Breath test was 0.0, blood test could only have shown my prescription medicine, (they couldn't find the results anyway) Entered deferral program, but rescheduled the evaluation several times & had not paid anything yet due to: my child having 3 surgeries, went thru a 5 month divorce after 27 yrs marriage plus I'd learned it cost more & lasted 2ce longer than I was told on court day. When I finally did go for my evaluation appt, instead of being evaluated, I was given a new court date. Should I apply for appointed lawyer or borrow the money & hire my own? Any opinion on what I may be sentenced with?

1. James J White

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . I am sorry if this offends but it sounds like you should have hired an attorney before you took the deferred prosecution. After all, it sounds like there were a lot of problems with the case that it is likely too late now to bring up. So, don't make matters worse. Hire a DUI attorney now. Absolutely you should hire an attorney. Public defenders have too many cases. You'll want personal attention to your situation.
    At your service,

2. Randy William Ferguson

2

Answered . Hire someone if you can. You should talk to a few attorneys before you make a decision.

3. Philip Daniel Hache

Pro

3

1

Answered . There are many reasons and advantages to having a good privately retained DUI attorney represent you on your matter. Also, some attorneys in your area may be willing to give you a free consultation about your case. That being said, it may be possible to get a new evaluation date through a public defender too. It sounds like you are going through a pretty rough time right now, and there is a chance that the court will be compassionate and give you a 2nd chance. It is hard to advise on this situation since you know your financial situation better than anyone, but perhaps at least getting a consultation with a dui defense attorney in your area is a good idea.

4. Patrick Mahaney

Pro

1

Answered . It is always in the defendant's best interests to obtain their own attorney and not rely on a court-appointed attorney. For a listing of criminal defense attorneys in your area, check the listing of the Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association at: www.acdla.org.

In addition, you may wish to check the listings of attorneys of the National College for DUI Defense, or the NCDD, at: www.ncdd.com. Lawyers who are members of the National College for DUI Defense are "specialists" in the area of DUI and related offenses.