Skip to main content

Miscarried a baby, and ex is suing me for slander/libel claiming it wasn't his. How do I defend myself?

Brooklyn, NY |

He was happy and supportive and shared the news that I was pregnant. I later discovered he was married, I dumped him and I suffered a miscarriage. I had no contact with him after that. He told his wife about the baby, and she mailed me pictures from an abortion clinic. Now, I learn that he wants to sue me for libel/slander. How can I defend myself when I cant prove the baby was his?

Attorney Answers 3


SInce the child was not born the putative father is irrelevant. Stay away from him and his wife. Hopefully by not responding they will stop. If they do not stop, then consider an order of protection. Consult with a local family law attorney.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


Truth is a complete defense to a defamation claim.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I think I'd worry more about getting mugged in Brooklyn than I would about being sued by this turkey. Forget about it. If and when you get sued, then repost with specific questions. He's barking. Wait until he bites. But having said all this, MAKE SURE you have no further contact with him or his wife. If you have any further contact with them, you will be asking for trouble. Good luck!

I often take cases other attorneys won't, so call me for a free consultation. My number is 727-712-3333, or you can view my website at

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics