Minor without license driving someone else's car and scratched some one car in the parking lot. What can I do about this?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oklahoma City, OK

My sister was over at her friend house, they wanted to go out but her friend insist that she doesn't want to walk so she gave my sister her mom's car key and kind of forced my sister to drive. After a few argues my sister take the risk and agree to do it. As soon as they got in the car the friend started to freak out and yelling then jumped out of the car; my sister get nervous so she slam on the break and hit a car in the parking lot. It wasn't a major crash, just some scratched on both car. After that my sister told me her friend's mom expect us to pay for both incident or she would sue my sister who's only 17 without a license or permit. I really feel like they set my sister up to this, but her friend is the one that gave her the key. What can my family do about this?

Pro

3

Answered . Simply report it to your insurance company to resolve.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

Answered . Tell your folks to notify their carrier about the situation. There is no catastrophe here, but your sister is going to have to deal with it. Young people make mistakes and if money can fix it, and you have the money, it's not a long-lasting problem.

3. Nathanael Prada

2

Answered . Report it to the insurance company as soon as possible. Best of luck.

4. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

1

Answered . The incident should be reported to the automobile liability insurance carrier covering the vehicle your sister was driving. Your sister should also report the incident to any automobile liability insurance carrier in your sister's household. Your sister may be covered under the terms of her parents' policy.

Your sister is ultimately responsible for all of the damages she has caused by her driving. Hopefully she will be indemnified by some insurance carrier.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  5. Christopher Steven Hoffmann

1

Answered . Typically, any claim submitted against your sister should be forwarded to the car owner's insurance for payment, defense and indemnification. She is a permissive driver via consent by the owner's daughter. Hence, the owner needs to collect from their own insurance. That is what I would argue. Check with a local lawyer.