Skip to main content

Minor son stealing money using credit cards unauthorized.what is the punishment if we file charges for theft?

Wilmington, NC |

i have a 17 year old son that repeatedly uses my card or his brothers card to take money out of our account or charges things to it. he does not have our consent to do so. what will happen to him if we file charges against him? he thinks since it is only a few dollars that nothing is going to happen to him. what are the charges and what is the process once we file charges? what will happen to him ?he currently has a part time job and he is still in high school in his senior year.what will his future look like with a record?can you give me some advice of what i can do?

how can i show him ...this is gonna happen if you keep this up.this is the punishment by law...mayby that will stop him...we have been going to couseling and he has been doing this repeatedly for almost 3 years.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. My suggestion is to deal with this another way. Once you go into the criminal justice system you lose all control and his future can be damaged. It's always an option, so try something else first.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  2. I agree with the attorney below- once it's out of your hands and into the hands of the prosecution, only they have control over your son's destiny. The last thing you'd want to do is pay for a criminal defense attorney to make the criminal charges go away.

  3. Going to the criminal justice system may resolve your current issue, but open the door to many other issues, my suggestion is to seek counseling or some other alternative with your son, good luck.

    The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.

  4. I see this happen on a daily basis. Parents want to teach their child a lesson so they press charges on the child. Child is charged and parent comes to court stating they want to dismiss the charges now since they thing the child has learned a lesson. DA does not want to dismiss the charges and it us solely up the DA to dismiss. There lies the problem. I would encourage you not to use the legal process as a tool for trying to change his behavior. There are some programs that are available for parents with these types of issues out there that you can find on the internet that are successful. Again, I would not advocate that you take charges on your son due to the fact that a conviction will stay on his record for life since he is an adult for criminal purposes. Best of luck!

    Call Trial Attorney Dustin RT Sullivan at (910) 508-2200 or visit us at to find out more.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics