Minor son stealing money using credit cards unauthorized.what is the punishment if we file charges for theft?

Asked 12 months ago - Wilmington, NC

i have a 17 year old son that repeatedly uses my card or his brothers card to take money out of our account or charges things to it. he does not have our consent to do so. what will happen to him if we file charges against him? he thinks since it is only a few dollars that nothing is going to happen to him. what are the charges and what is the process once we file charges? what will happen to him ?he currently has a part time job and he is still in high school in his senior year.what will his future look like with a record?can you give me some advice of what i can do?

how can i show him ...this is gonna happen if you keep this up.this is the punishment by law...mayby that will stop him...we have been going to couseling and he has been doing this repeatedly for almost 3 years.

1. Dustin R. T. Sullivan

2

1

Answered . I see this happen on a daily basis. Parents want to teach their child a lesson so they press charges on the child. Child is charged and parent comes to court stating they want to dismiss the charges now since they thing the child has learned a lesson. DA does not want to dismiss the charges and it us solely up the DA to dismiss. There lies the problem. I would encourage you not to use the legal process as a tool for trying to change his behavior. There are some programs that are available for parents with these types of issues out there that you can find on the internet that are successful. Again, I would not advocate that you take charges on your son due to the fact that a conviction will stay on his record for life since he is an adult for criminal purposes. Best of luck!

Call Trial Attorney Dustin RT Sullivan at (910) 508-2200 or visit us at www.sullivansnowlaw.com to find out more.
  2. Majid Vasigh

Pro

2

1

Answered . I agree with the attorney below- once it's out of your hands and into the hands of the prosecution, only they have control over your son's destiny. The last thing you'd want to do is pay for a criminal defense attorney to make the criminal charges go away.

3. Theodor Kaplun

2

1

Answered . Going to the criminal justice system may resolve your current issue, but open the door to many other issues, my suggestion is to seek counseling or some other alternative with your son, good luck.

4. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

1

1

Answered . My suggestion is to deal with this another way. Once you go into the criminal justice system you lose all control and his future can be damaged. It's always an option, so try something else first.