Minor Car Accident

Asked over 4 years ago - Georgia

Yst'day, I had a minor car accident and rear-ended another car. The person is fine and the damage amounted to a scraped bumper that will cost $551 repair+100 Rental. We are settling outside I will pay out-of-pocket. Should I have the other party sign a liability release? Thx

1. Ralph Edward Hughes

Answered . Sorry to hear about your accident. By all means have the party whom you are paying sign a release of all claims, both property damage and personal injury. Additionally, if he/she is married, be sure to include their spouse in the release to bar any potential loss of consortium claims. This is one of those instances when it would probably be helpful to have an attorney draft a proposed release to insure you are properly protected. Good luck. Ralph

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . Bear in mind that it is very dangerous (indeed foolish) not to let your insurer handle this. If you do go the route you plan, get a lawyer to draft proper releases to help protect you.

3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . Absolutely. I suggest that you consult with a local attorney to make sure all of the bases are covered and you do not find yourself with additional claims down the road for personal injuries.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.