Skip to main content

Minimum age for sponsoring spouse i130

Houston, TX |

I recently got married in Pakistan this past February after my wife turned 16. In Pakistan the legal age for marriage is 18 boys and 16 girls. I am a 26 years old US citizen living and working in Texas. My question is that is it possible to file an i130 for my wife even though she is currently under the age of 18? I have read extensively through many posts on here as well as several online resources including the USCIS website and have been unable to find a concrete answer. Also what problems should I anticipate because of her being under 18? Both her parents, my parents and our entire families were present at the wedding ceremony, reception, and several other engagements so parents consent hopefully won't be an issue.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Yes you can file for her. Because she is married she is no longer a child for immigration purposes.
    Luis A. Guerra, Esq.
    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra, PA
    Atrium Centre
    4801 South University Dr., Suite 252
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328

    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

  2. Yes.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. I agree with the others


    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  4. It is possible to file an i-130.

    Best of luck,

    John Vong
    Attorney at Law
    10827 Bellaire Blvd., Ste. 200
    Houston, TX 77072
    (832) 641-0461

    DISCLAIMER This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in Texas.

  5. You can file for her, but of course the large difference in your ages will be a factor for USCIS and the Embassy to consider along with her young age, and whether she had the permission of her parents to marry. since she is not in the US, the Embassy where she will process her visa will be familiar with the customs and laws so the consent issue should not be a problem if it is what you say.

    Answers given on this site are general advice only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics