Military wife husband divorcing me, no money what can I do?

Miami Beach, FL |

I am currently a military wife and we have been married for 2 1/2 years. Since we have been married I got my associates and for about a year and 2 months of it I worked full time. I lost my job in november and have not found another yet, we are supposed to be getting stationed in new orleans in the next 2 months. During this time I have been getting myself into the Coast guard as well but can not leave until june, july or august. anyways I am afraid he is gonna kick me out of our house and I will be homeless. I cannot afford a lawyer what can I do?

You don't mention whether your husband has actually filed for divorce yet. If there is a case pending, you can request temporary support to get you over the transition. If there is no case pending, you need to file for Dissolution of Marrige without minor children using forms provided by the Clerk of Court.

This is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice upon which anyone should rely. Nor does it create any attorney client relationship.

Stanton L. Cobb
Board Certified Marital & Family Law Specialist
Fellow - American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
P.O. Box 149223
Orlando, FL 32814-9223
Tel. (321)972-4643
Fax (407)374-2499
email stancobb@flfamilylaw.com

If you feel that you need to be prepared for the possibility of divorce or if you would like to get a head start, you can contact the Miami Dade Legal Aid office or hire an attorney that can assist you with filling out the forms through the Self Help Department of the Family court. You will need to seek an award of temporary support to assist you in the transition from the divorce to being on your own.

Dade County Legal Aid Society
123 Northwest 1st Avenue
Miami, FL 33128-1836
(305) 579-5733

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce