Military marriage annulment

Asked over 5 years ago - San Diego, CA

Military contract marriage - can I get an annulment if I have never lived with, had children with, or shared property with the person and the marriage? I have never even lived in the same state as the spouse.

Please Help. I fit the situation 100%

1. Christina Kouch

1

8

Answered . Annulment is a civil matter. Therefore, the laws for annulment vary based on the state you are in. The grounds for annulment vary by state, but generally include:

* Incest: the spouses are close blood relatives.
    * Bigamy: a spouse was knowingly married or registered to another person at the time of marriage.
    * Underage: a spouse or partner was below age 18 years at the time of marriage or registration of domestic partnership and did not obtain parental consent or a court order permitting the marriage.
    * Prior Existing Marriage or Prior Existing Domestic Partnership: a spouse married on the mistaken belief that his or her previous marriage or partnership had ended in the death of the other spouse or partner, who in fact was still living.
    * Unsound Mind: a spouse could not and has not formed the intent to marry or registered due to a mental condition.
    * Fraud: deception regarding a significant matter that led to the marriage or the partnership and continued until the breakup.
    * Force: threats or acts of harm were used to force one spouse or partner into the marriage or domestic partnership.
    * Incapacity: a spouse was and continues to be physically unable to consummate the marriage or partnership.

If these grounds do not apply to you, divorce is always an option.

Note that I am not licensed to practice in your state. This is not intended as legal advice. Please check with an attorney in your state.