Military Law & Immigration status would I be rejected from the US armed force because of my immigration status not being solve

Asked 8 months ago - Newnan, GA

I was wondering can I join the US Navy while my step father is petitioning for me & my mother's residency. my step father is a US Citizen & I have currently been approved my DACA application. would the military work with my situation while my residency is in progress?

1. Tracie Lynn Klinke

Pro

3

Answered . No - I'm sorry. Once you have a green card, you might be able to. But, just with DACA I don't think the military will accept you. Thank you, though, for wanting to serve - when you are enlisted, we will be lucky to have you!

2. Ili J. Subhan

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . No, DACA recipients are technically still undocumented immigrants, and thus, cannot currently join the
    military. However, H.R. 435 (Military Enlistment Opportunity Act of 2013) has been introduced in Congress and if that law passes, DACA recipients will be able to join the military and as a result become lawful permanent residents and/or U.S. citizens. Thank you for wanting to serve the U.S. I encourage you to speak with your local Navy recruitment office at (770)-251-3680 for more information.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . No, I do think so.

4. Neil F. Lewis

Pro

1

Answered . I do not know the statutory authority, but in all my dealings with the military they insist that my immigrant clients have a green card before they can be admitted to the military. There was a time, maybe 10 years ago, when the military excepted people who were in lawful status in the US. As far as I know, this is no longer the case.

5. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

1

Answered . No.