Military divorce with minor children. Married 14 years. Stipulation agreement last year.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chester, VA

Going through horrible divorce with children for 3 years. Forced to sign a stipulation agreement last year, WITHOUT Legal counsel. Wife not worked in 14 yrs. Ran out of money to represent self, after spending $15,000. Can I change the stipulation agreement, since they talked me into just 4 years of Spousal Support, giving husband Primary custody and giving up my Navy Pension?? Not finalized yet.

1. Mary G. Commander

2

Answered . The only way to undo a legal contract, which is what a Stipulation Agreement is, would be to have a legal defense to a contract. Not having a lawyer is not such a defense. In fact, the Virginia State Bar has a Lawyer Referral Service through which a lawyer will review your Agreement for $35.00, and all attorneys offer consultation appointments. If the Agreement is truly unconscionable (which is VERY difficult to prove) a court could set it aside.
    Why did you agree to this? I assume that you received something that you wanted.

2. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

2

Answered . If you or your spouse are active duty military, you can use the FREE legal assistance office at Fort Lee. They can give some initial advice.
    Not sure what you mean about the pension. Military retirement is an asset for which some division can be court-ordered.
    Ms. Commander has the right of it, seek that advice.