Michigan vehicle title question regarding a minor.

Canton, MI |
Filed under: Vehicle title

My daughter's vehicle title is in her and my ex-husbands name. We have the original title. Can he request a copy of the title through the Secretary of State and then sign off completely to remove his name from the title without her signature? She is currently 17 and her insurance is on his policy.

Can he drop her from his insurance policy once he removes his name from her title?

Yes, this could be done.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Thank you for your help.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

You are very welcome!

I believe so, he is effective "quit claiming" the title to her name, although I believe it would be best and preferred to have both title holders file. As she is the signature of a parent/guardian would normally be sufficient.
Call my offices, or another attorney of your choice, with details for an appointment and a specific opinion.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

Thank you for your help.

I agree with my colleagues. Best of luck to you. - Reese Serra

This advise is only being offered as a courtesy. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and I do not represent you. Additional, the advice I have provided was based on the limited fact pattern provided by you. If the facts differ, my advice may not be correct. If you live in Michigan and would like legal assistance with your issue, feel free to contact me: 586-615-0756 / Reese8484@aol.com (ADVERTISING MATERIAL)

Vehicle title topics

Recommended articles about Vehicle title