Michigan vehicle title question regarding a minor.

Asked over 1 year ago - Canton, MI

My daughter's vehicle title is in her and my ex-husbands name. We have the original title. Can he request a copy of the title through the Secretary of State and then sign off completely to remove his name from the title without her signature? She is currently 17 and her insurance is on his policy.

Additional information

Can he drop her from his insurance policy once he removes his name from her title?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Reese Serra

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Best of luck to you. - Reese Serra

    This advise is only being offered as a courtesy. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and I do not... more
  2. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, this could be done.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  3. John F. Brennan

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I believe so, he is effective "quit claiming" the title to her name, although I believe it would be best and preferred to have both title holders file. As she is the signature of a parent/guardian would normally be sufficient.
    Call my offices, or another attorney of your choice, with details for an appointment and a specific opinion.

    To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,454 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,454 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering