Michigan- father has passed and did not register will with the county. Step mother has copy and will not release to his children

Asked about 2 years ago - 48316

We live in Michigan my father recently passed and did not file the will with the county. His current wife has a copy but will not provide copies to the children. My father was a business owner (deeded to him only) but he sold the business on land contract. We are listed in the will. What can we do as his children to obtain a copy of the will from her? I do not understand what holding the will would accomplish? Can we file something with probate in order to force her to provide a copy of the will?

1. James P. Frederick

10

Answered . There are a number of things you can do. Whether a probate estate is opened or not, the Will is supposed to be filed with the probate court, within a "reasonable time." That time period is not defined, but I would suggest that a letter to your stepmother reminding her of this requirement, or having a lawyer do so, would not be unreasonable, say, six weeks after the date of death or so.

Having said that, the Will does not necessarily determine what will happen with the assets, however. How the assets are titled will dictate what happens with them. If the assets are in your father's name alone, then they will pass through probate, under the Will. If they are titled in joint names or with someone designated as the beneficiary, then the assets will pass outside probate to the joint owner or the beneficiary.

You might be able to do an online check of the title records to see how they are titled. That will give you an idea of what you may need to do next. My guess is that you will need an attorney to assist you. Your stepmother is going to likely oppose whatever you try to do or want to do.

James Frederick

2. Kenneth R. Gold

Pro

8

Answered . How much time has passed since his death? Also, are you sure that there are assets only in his name that need to be probated? This could include payments still owing to him under the land contract.

Its possible she may not be providing copies of the Will because she may get less under the Will and the children more then would be the case if he died without a Will.

The named personal representative has priority to open the estate but you don't have a copy of the Will to see who that is. The surviving spouse would be next in line followed by the children. So if no probate estate has been opened, you could petition the court to open an estate. But you need to be careful that you arent spending time and money when there may not be any assets that need to be probated or which pass to you. During the probate proceeding, she could be forced to produce a Will in her possession or she may claim that there isnt one.

If I can answer any further questions or be of any help, please call me. Ken

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

8

Answered . Attorney has given you a great answer-he also practices in Michigan and would be a great attorney for you to consult with your questions.

4. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

7

Answered . You should get a local lawyer and tell him about this so she can tell you how to move forword.