Mf gf fell and broke her foot in December due to a slippery carpet placed by the apartment complex management.

Asked 4 months ago - Pasadena, CA

She was walking into her apartment and she slipped on the rug that was placed by management and broker her foot. She still suffers from pain and she had to miss a lot of work due to this. Her grandmother had also fallen in the same situation and they made management aware and they did nothing. After being notified of the broken foot they did nothing. They have on the outside water sprinklers help on by cement and can't be seen in the dark and they are all over like land mines. I have fallen on my face also and other people as well. Now my gf is getting a 5 thousand dollar bill for her broken foot from the hospital and management is assuming no responsibility. Do we have a case?

1. Richard Todd Rosenstein

9

Answered . You should contact a local personal injury lawyer to review the facts and circumstances of the matter.

2. Thomas Westwood Degn

Pro

9

Answered . This landlord sounds like a slumlord. If there are dangerous conditions that the landlord is aware of, and this conditions are causing injuries, talk to a lawyer. Every case is fact specific and premises liability has some specific case law and jury instructions that apply, but an experienced attorney will be familiar with them and advise you accordingly.

3. Robert Max Klein

Pro

9

Answered . Good morning. Your girlfriend may have a case. I think the best way to get a good answser is doing the following: take photos of the entire area (the carpet, the sprinklers, the overhead lighting, the front door, etc.) Also make sure to take photos of her injuries if still visible.

Look on the Avvo site for a lawyer in Pasadena or Los Angeles and meet face to face with a lawyer to discuss your girlfriend's case. She has a real injury and medical bills are now arriving. The property management co. and/or owner are not and probably will not agree to pay for anything. Giving a statement to an insurance carrier and/or attempting to handle this on your own my compromise her case.

4. Heather A Lottmann

9

Answered . Potentially. More information would be needed to properly evaluate the claim, such as why is the rug "slippery?" Consult with an experienced CA personal injury/premises liability attorney. That attorney can ask the right questions to obtain the information needed to properly evaluate the potential claim. Consultations are free, so you have nothing to lose.

5. Olga Someras

Pro

8

Answered . It sounds like your girlfriend may have a claim against the owner/landlord/property management company for personal injury - you should consult with a personal injury attorney as you will need a lawyer to tell you any rights and claims you have. You may even find someone willing to take the case on contingency fee.

6. Sol Peter Ajalat

6

Answered . You most likely have a case. Promptly contact an attorney to review your case.

7. Richard Jonathan Spencer

6

Answered . Not only might your girlfriend have a case, she might have a GREAT case. The property owners will have their representatives to advance and protect their interests. Do the smart thing: hire a personal injury attorney to protect YOUR interests.

8. Richard Marc Katz

Pro

6

Answered . Your girlfriends slip and fall case presents some interesting issues. Based on the factual scenario there may be a basis for liability.

I would recommend that your girlfriend contact a local personal-injury attorney to investigate the matter.

9. Jeffrey Mark Adams

7

Answered . Do today what you should have done yesterday, contact local and qualified counsel. There may be a case, but an investigation needs to get done. Good luck.

Pro

7

Answered . Could be a defect or dangerous condition, and a local personal injury lawyer should be retained to investigate.

11. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

5

Answered . This sounds to me like a very good case, but it will require investigation. A lot of lawyers on this site offer free consultations in situations like this. All the best.

12. Thomas Leonard Davis

3

Answered . As to your girlfriend's broken foot, since the building management had been notified about her grandmother's earlier fall in the same place, there is a good likelihood that management negligently failed to remedy a dangerous condition. So, while you would need to give a PI lawyer more information, it appears that the building management is liable. As your girlfriend broke her foot, continues to suffer pain and missed work, if the building management is indeed liable, the level of damages would make a lawsuit worthwhile.

13. Timothy John Egan

3

Answered . I agree with all of the other comments. Your girlfriend or you should get out your camera, and get pictures or video, with measurements. Identify other persons who had similar problems. She needs to get a lawyer since management is refusing responsibility. Keep in mind that California has a 2 year statute of limitations for these types of cases. If government housing of any kind, different time limits may be in play. Don't wait. Good luck.