Mexican TN Visa holder with a full time position. I was offered a part-time with another IT company with a TN offer letter.

Asked over 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

Where should I apply for a concurrent TN ? Through form I-129 or can I go back to US Consulate in Mexico and fill out DS-160 ? I dont want my orginal TN to get cancelled.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jeffrey Adam Devore


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Concurrent TN status is allowed, but you can only have 1 physical TN visa. For concurrent employment your existing visa would have to be cancelled and a new visa listing both employers issued. Thus, you would be giving a consular officer the opportunity to cancel your visa. Thus, depending upon the facts of your case, it may be better to file with USCIS. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for case specific advice.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  2. Carlos E Sandoval

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . For a TN visa you can apply within the United States with form I-129. But you should consult with an immigration attorney to ensure your proposed course of action wont have negative consequences.

  3. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . TN's can be filed in the U.S. with USCIS as of October of 2012. Review form I-129 and the filing instructions. You may also want to consider an H-1B for the fall with either or both of your companies if you are contemplating immigrating.

  4. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. However, you owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. A lawyer will work with you to ensure that all of your options have been explored and you are committed to the best course of action. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,482 answers this week

2,763 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary