Messed with Tax Return

during 2011 i lived in CA. My Tax Return Preparer messed my tax return by submitting false wages(Low Wages than W2). Yesterday only i got a letter from IRS to pay remaining tax + Penalty. I can pay this but will this affect my future visa status or any consequences ? how can i check any mess happened for CA State Tax ? I have filled with the same Person for this year ? how can i fix this year tax return as well ? Thanks in Advance.

Concord, CA -

Bruce Givner

Bruce Givner

Tax Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

Mr. Davidoff has given you an excellent answer. You should file an amended federal return and you can request a copy of your California return from the FTB. If in Google you type in California Franchise Tax Board filing individual returns you will find that the web site has a live chat feature that may prove helpful.

E. Martin Davidoff

E. Martin Davidoff

Tax Lawyer - Dayton, NJ

You can fix the 2012 tax return by filing an amended return, form 1040-X and submitting it as soon as possible. If you can submit before April 15th, that would be best.

Linda Simmons Campbell

Linda Simmons Campbell

Tax Lawyer - Burlington, CT

I agree that you should file an amended return.

As for your visa, I tell clients to answer honestly when they are asked about any tax problems and to provide documentation that you are working on or have resolved any tax issues. Proof of payment of the previous years tax liability and a copy of the amended return will probably suffice.

I also recommend you find a new tax preparer. Ask for recommendations from family and friends.

Related Advice